Home > Gift Cards from Growing Paper
Gift Cards from Growing Paper
Growing Paper produces handmade paper with a twist.
The paper is embedded with seeds that will grow into flowers once you have planted your used product, like the cards or a leaf from our calendars. The handmade paper is made from post consumer waste paper and processed to make this lovely range of environmentally responsible products.
Since the paper making process uses large amounts of water, the waste water is reused for farming activities on the farm where the manufacturor are situated. These products are printed with waterbased ink.
Furthermore, the products are made in such a way that any part of the product which isn’t plantable, is either biodegradable or recyclable.
What kind of seeds are in the paper?
At the moment there are 3 mixtures of seeds in the paper:
- Mixed flowers: Alyssum, Snapdragon
- Indigenous flowers: Nemesia, Felicia
- Herbs: Basil, Wild Rocket, Thyme
Is there a special method for planting the paper?
As with any seeds, care needs to be taken while the seeds germinate, in other words the plants need to be kept moist and in a warm place where direct sun exposure is available for half the day. It is always a good idea to plant your paper in a small pot/pots for the germination period. How to plant:
- Prepare some weed free soil in a pot.
- Moisten the paper as well as the soil.
- Place the paper a few millimetres under the soil (or just sprinkle some loose soil over the paper)
- Water and keep moist during germination (but don't drown the seeds)
- Watch your little plants grow from paper!
- To ensure that the paper stays moist during germination, you can prepare the soil and paper in a glass jar and keep the lid on so as to keep the moisture in.
What is the paper made of?
The paper is made of 100% post consumer waste paper which is sourced from a shredding company as well as a nearby school. Only water is added to the post consumer waste paper to create the paper pulp from which the handmade paper is made. No chemicals are added during the papermaking process.
Can the paper be printed on?
According to the tests that have done, Growing paper can be printed on using an inkjet printer. We do however recommend clients to test the paper on a certain printer before planning to do the printing themselves since we cannot guarantee that your specific desktop inkjet printer will give you the desired results. Because of the nature of the papermaking process our paper may have slight variations in thickness between sheets.